PHP or Hypertext Preprocessor is the most widely used web scripting language for dynamic website design and development as well as for many web based applications. It has been used to develop some of the most popular websites such as Facebook, YouTube and Yahoo! With the help of PHP, more than 244 million websites have been developed till now and still counting.
Nowadays, thousands of amateur developers are recruited by professional PHP website development companies. This is because the scope and implementation of PHP has been highly escalated. The features that make PHP so much in demand are mentioned below:
PHP is an open source programming language and can be downloaded over the internet free-of-cost.
PHP is cross-platform compatible i.e. it supports major operating systems such as Windows, Linux and Macintosh.
It is also compatible with every database server available in the market.
Most of the syntaxes of PHP are derivative of C++ and hence it is easy to comprehend and develop codes.
Integration of dynamic visual applications like Ajax and Flash in PHP is easy.
PHP website development offers secure and steady interface and the resultant web application can be easily accessed with no or minimum plug-ins to run the program.
It takes the least execution time when compared to ASP.net and Java.
- Developing websites becomes even more customizable with the use of PHP. Some intricate details that can be easily implemented on the website using PHP language are email forms, membership logins, visitor counts, calendar creation, web forums, poll tabulation, automatic refreshing and many more
- Being an open source programming language, it is well documented in various languages. Hence, it is easy to find references and guidelines over the internet. Owing to its popularity, solutions for almost any code can be found out on PHP forums and groups.
- A large number of readily-available extensions make it easier to implement even the most powerful codes. Developers across the globe can stretch out PHP by writing their own extensions and compiling them into the executable or they can make their own executable and load it with the use of PHP’s dynamic loading mechanism.
- Many hosting services offer ‘ready-to-use’ PHP setup which does not require any configuration. It can be used just as a ‘plug-and-play’ device.
- Heavy traffics on the website can be managed using PHP cloud hosting. Developers can upscale and downscale their websites using this feature based on the traffic generated.
- PHP is believed to have poor error handling capabilities.
- Editing a code from the client/server side cannot be done using a single piece of code. It needs to be redirected.
- PHP is not 100% purely object oriented programming. As of now it just imitates some syntax of Java.
The positives of implementing PHP for websites are far higher as compared to its disadvantages. In the world of web development, every day new errors and new challenges are faced to find their solutions. In all situations, PHP has its own set of armory and developers worldwide are constantly expanding its scope to make it a flawless tool for website development.